_GemLife Woodend Stage 6 Approval
GemLife has obtained town planning approval for the sixth stage of its lifestyle village in Woodend. The latest addition to the village will comprise nineteen architecturally designed individual living units, a tennis court and pavilion as well as a large parking area for recreation vehicles.
The Collie role on the project was to provide town planning services which included:
- advising on the development potential of the site including the likely built form and siting provisions;
- reviewing the village masterplan and advising on changes to the design in order to improve the layout as well as the likelihood of Macedon Ranges Shire Council (Council) supporting the application;
- advising on the supporting material required to accompany the amended planning permit application;
- reviewing expert documents prepared by others;
- preparing a detailed town planning report including an assessment (as a guide) of each dwelling against clause 55 of the Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme;
- extensive liaison with the project team and Council officers including providing a detailed response to objections received.
A key challenge was being able recognise the significance of native trees on-site by retaining them where possible within the village layout. Ultimately, both the Department and Environment, Land, Water and Planning and Council were satisfied that GemLife had made substantial provision for the retention of native trees and the trees will become a real landscape feature of the project.